Friday, July 11, 2014

Magnum XL 200 (Cedar Point)



If you know about Roller Coasters, you must have heard of Magnum. However at the huge park of Cedar Point it is often overlooked. Although it stands 205 feet high, it is small compared to rides such as Millennium Force, Dragster and the Power Tower. After riding many of the rides at the park, I knew while I was there for a short three days that I needed a good run on Magnum. After arriving to the station, I waited a mere 5 minutes before boarding. The trains have a outdated future look to them, but they are quite iconic. After boarding and pulling down my lap bar, we were ready to go. The lift was painfully long, but it offered nice views of the lake and water park, and even added a bit of anticipation. Finally, I am 205 feet in the air, and we plummet down the drop. It was a fun drop indeed, and the roughness I had heard of was hardly there. But after hitting the top of the hill, I encountered a major problem. Now, I did expect ejector airtime throughout this ride, but I did not expect that to be a problem. But upon reaching the top, my lap bar dug into my thighs with painful force. I am not one that cares about roughness on roller coasters, but that HURT. I did have just enough time to observe the view of the lake as I grimaced in pain, but just then we dove down again, this time into a tunnel. The next hill wasn't as much of a pain, but still bothersome. The pretzel-loop was intense, but nothing remarkable. But then came the worst part. We entered the bunny hops. Each and every time I was launched out of my seat from great airtime the lap bar slammed into my legs, causing quite a bit of pain. By then bruises were forming. At the midway point of the ride I was questioning how people can call this ride world class. It may be a classic, but this is the only ride I've ridden in which I hated the airtime. I'm sorry Cedar Point, but Magnum's prime time is long gone. Upon exiting the ride, I concluded that perhaps maybe Cedar Point should purchase some B&M trains for the ride, similar to what happened to Steel Dragon. But as long as those lap bars/trains are present, I think one ride is enough.

Drop: 7/10
Length: 8/10
Comfort: 2/10
Airtime: 9/10
Speed: 7/10
Smoothness: 6/10
Intensity: 5/10

Overall: 60/100 (Mediocre)

No comments:

Post a Comment