Friday, July 11, 2014

Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point)



My first day at Cedar Point was slightly disappointing as I never got to ride the Dragster due to it being broken down. The second day, Dragster appeared to be broken down as well. That is until 8:30 that night when I heard the recognizable engine sound from Mantis's lift hill. I rushed to Dragster, and found a relatively short 40 minute wait. I immediately became quite nervous standing in line, having never been on Kingda Ka or this. After 20 minutes, I was nearing the halfway point of the line, the ride once again broke down. I was pretty devastated as we were then informed the ride would be down for the rest of the night. I left the line to head for Millennium Force, when I noticed people were on the ride once again....after 5 minutes. I ran back to the line, to find most of the people gone, already having given up on the ride. The wait was now 10 minutes, and I was nearing the station. But after a mere three launches, the ride was down again. I decided to keep my place in line this time around. However, the ride was down for about an hour this time. I was now in the station, as most people have left by now with the park closing at 10. The time is now 9:40, and people are finally boarding the train. After about five minutes, and me being second in line for the third row, the ride shuts down once more, and this time they test the ride repeatedly. By then its 10:15 or so, and they tell us they will test it one more time before allowing us to board. I sigh in relief, finally feeling as though I may get a ride on the legendary Top Thrill Dragster. They test the train once more, but this time, the worst thing possible happens: the green train rolls back. I groan, finally giving up, and I begin to consider leaving. As soon as I turn to leave, they announce that we are now to board the trains. I suddenly become nervous yet excited, as I board the train. My heart is pounding as they check my lap bar, and we move out of the station, and into the launching position. At this point in time, I have no idea what to do. Do I put my hands up? Do I sit calmly? Do I scream yolo? I stare at the yellow-yellow-yellow-green lights as though it's gazing into my soul as the engine sound effect starts up. My palms become sweaty as I stare up at the 420 foot tower ahead of us. "Wow" was the only word on my mind. It's finally happening. There is a loud hissing sound, and short after, the countdown commences, and we launch. Let me tell you something. This is the most spectacular moment on a roller coaster I have ever experienced, and this is coming from someone who once called this ride overrated. Positive g's push me into my seat as we begin up the 420 foot ascent, staring right into the stars. We finally reach the the top of the tower, and I catch a glance of Millennium Force below us. Yep, below us. Finally regaining my mind, I throw my hands in the air and scream as we plummet hundreds of feet towards the earth. I felt as though I was a falcon diving through the air, even more so than SheiKra or Griffon. We reach the bottom and the on-ride camera blinds me for a second as we hit the brakes. I am truly amazed by this ride and how I overlooked it. It is truly a one of a kind experience. And trust me, the lap bar instead of the OTSR used on Kingda Ka make all the difference in the world. This ride was worth all the trouble and then some. But of course there is the all too common complaint that 17 seconds is too short, which is completely true. However, those were possibly the best 17 seconds of my life.

Drop: 10/10
Length: 3/10
Comfort: 9/10
Launch: 10/10
Speed: 10/10
Smoothness: 9/10
Intensity: 8/10

Overall: 96/100 (World Class)

No comments:

Post a Comment